What is home staging?
Home staging was established in the USA in1972 by Barb Schwarz. It was made popular in the noughties by Ann Maurice in her Channel 5 TV series House Doctor.
Home staging is dressing a home for sale so that it achieves the maximum amount in the shortest possible time and appeals to the widest range of buyers. It can also be used for rental properties so that they achieve a higher regular return for landlords. Avoiding price reductions to compete with similar properties nearby.
Staging might include:
- Neutralising strong colours with paint
- Assigning excess furniture to storage
- Re-arranging furniture
- Purchasing window treatments
- Purchasing new bed & bath linen
- Hiring carpet/upholstery cleaner
- Improving lighting
- Making suggestions for improvements to the property entrance.